Here you can read about some of what I've been thinking and writing. (Publication titles are poorly-colored hyperlinks.)
Publications on Understanding
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel A. 2013. “Understanding as Representation Manipulability.” Synthese 190 (6): 997–1016.
- _____. 2016. “Understanding without Believing.” In Explaining Understanding: New Perspectives from Epistemology and Philosophy of Science, edited by Stephen R. Grimm, Christoph Baumberger, and Sabine Ammon. New York: Routledge.
- ———. 2017a. “MUDdy Understanding.” Synthese 194 (4): 1273–93.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel A., and Jennifer K. Hellmann. 2014. “Understanding beyond Grasping Propositions: A Discussion of Chess and Fish.” Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A 48: 46–51.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel A., and Christa M. Johnson. Forthcoming. "Understanding for Hire." Journal for General Philosophy of Science.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel A., Dillon Plunkett, and Tania Lombrozo. Forthcoming. “Folk Attributions of Understanding: Is There a Role for Epistemic Luck?” Episteme.
- ———. 2016. “Depth and Deference: When and Why We Attribute Understanding.” Philosophical Studies 173 (2): 373–393.
Publications on Explanation
- Giffin, Carly, Daniel A. Wilkenfeld, and Tania Lombrozo. Forthcoming. "The Explanatory Effect of a Label: Explanations with Named Categories are More Satisfying." Cognition 168: 357-369.
- Vasilyeva, Nadya, Daniel A. Wilkenfeld, and Tania Lombrozo. 2017. “Contextual Utility Affects the Perceived Quality of Explanations.” Psychonomic Bulletin and Review. 24: 1436-1450.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel A. 2014. “Functional Explaining: A New Approach to the Philosophy of Explanation.” Synthese 191 (14): 3367–3391.
Publications on Transformative Experience
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel A., and Tania Lombrozo. 2015. “Inference to the Best Explanation (IBE) versus Explaining for the Best Inference (EBI).” Science & Education 24 (9–10): 1059–1077.
Publication on Explanation and Learning
- “Abstracting Structural Explanations”
- “Authentic MDMA Highs”
- “Did he Hallucinate Because he has Scizophrena? The Explanatory Power of Mental Disorder Categories“ (co-authored with J. Gleason and T. Lombrozo)
- “Evidence and Accuracy in Transformative Decisions”
- “Meta-Transformative Experiences and the Daredevil Effect”
- “Understanding is EESEE” (co-authored with T. Lombrozo, undergoing a revise and resubmit at Mind & Language)
Works in Progress/Under Review: Ask for Drafts!
- Advances in Experimental Philosophy of Science (co-editing with Richard Samuels--invited by Bloomsbury Press)
- Simple Understanding: Understanding, Explanation, and How We Think About the World. (Under contract with Synthese Library)